The new MS 400 C-M is the world’s first chainsaw with a magnesium piston.The MS 400 C-M chainsaw has been designed with professionals in mind, offering STIHL’s highest performance in the 60cc class. More displacement, more power, more torque, only a small weight increase compared to the MS 362 C-M and an outstanding power to weight ratio.The new 2-MIX engine provides 4kW of power,compared to 3.5kW in the MS 362 C-M, as well as more torque – 4.1 Nm vs 3.5 Nm. These increases come from larger displacement of 66.8cc, which is a 14% increase compared to the MS 362 C-M. The magnesium piston is also 14% lighter than the aluminum piston in the MS 362 C-M, helping ensure rapid acceleration.Thanks to these intelligent design features, the MS 400 C-M has an impressive power-to-weight ratio of 1.45 kilograms per kilowatt, making it ideal to use when working in the forest, especially over prolonged periods. The powerhead on it’s own weighs 5.8 kg. In addition to the new 66.8 cc engine, the MS 400 C-M features STIHL’s latest M-Tronic 3.0 technology which has STIHL’s simple re-calibration procedure and an improved HD2 filter, which all help deliver optimum performance from the saw at all times.The chainsaw also features Elastostart technology that enables effortless starting of the tool. Designed for forestry and arb professionals, the MS 400 C-M can be used for a range of applications, including felling, de-limbing and cutting timber down to size.
- Magnesium piston Light-weight piston made out of magnesium. Excellent power-to-weight-ratio. High maximum speed. High durability.
- Reduced-emission engine technology:2-stroke engine with stratified charge. A fuel-free layer of air is created between the burned charge in the combustion chamber and the fresh charge in the crankcase, reducing the amount of fuel lost during the charge cycle. This results in more power with a lower weight, up to 20% lower fuel consumption than regular 2-stroke engines and significantly reduced exhaust emissions.
- Anti-vibration system:Intense vibration at the handles of power tools can lead to long-term effects on blood vessels in the hands and arms. STIHL has therefore developed an effective anti-vibration system whereby the oscillations from the machine’s engine are dampened which significantly reduces vibrations at the handles.
- Pre-separation air filtration system:STIHL long-life air filtration systems with pre-separation achieve perceptibly longer filter life compared with conventional filter systems. Air drawn in is swirled. The larger, heavier particles are ejected. The pre-cleaned air is routed to the air filter via the pre-separator duct.
- STIHL ElastoStart reduces the shock caused by the compression of the engine during starting.
- Compensator:This controller in the carburettor prevents the fuel-air mixture getting richer as the air filter becomes clogged. The correct quantity of fuel is delivered to the carburettor depending on the quantity of air passing through the air filter. This keeps the fuel/air ratio in the combustion mixture constant and hence also the engine power. The filter doesn’t need to be cleaned until an appreciable drop in power occurs.
Side chain tensioner: The tensioning screw can be found on the side of the chain saw through the sprocket cover. This removes the need for contact with the sharp saw chain.
- Ematic chain lubrication system:The Ematic chain lubrication system ensures pinpoint lubrication of the saw chain links and guide bar rails. When used with STIHL OILOMATIC saw chain, it will provide maximum lubrication, longer wear and less oil consumption than conventional methods of chain lubrication. The Ematic system can reduce bar oil consumption by up to 50%.
- Tool free filler caps:Special catches on the fuel and oil tanks for easy opening and locking without the need for tools
- Decompression valve The decompression valve is part of the easy starting system. The valve should be pressed before starting to reduce the compression pressure when starting, as well as reducing the effort needed to pull the starter rope. The decompression valve is semi-automatic; it must be pressed manually before starting, but then closes automatically.
- Captive Nuts The nuts on the chain sprocket cover will not get lost when changing the cutting attachment, due to their captive nature ensuring they are held in the housing. The MS 261 is the first STIHL chainsaw to be fitted with captive nuts.
- M-tronic No matter if you’re just starting up, working away or restarting your chain saw after a break, M-Tronic takes perfect control of ignition timing and fuel dosage whatever the operating status, and with electronic precision. It even takes account of external conditions like temperature, elevation and fuel quality. Letting you get off to a perfect start so you can concentrate on the job at hand – whether you’re felling, pruning or bucking.The cornerstone of M-Tronic technology is its control unit featuring a microprocessor, electronic temperature recognition and ignition system. The microprocessor represents the “brains” of M-Tronic. All relevant information on the status of the tool feeds into this. The result: an electronically precise supply of fuel – taking operating status and external conditions into account – means you will always benefit from optimal engine performance. It also saves you time and energy since you no longer have to worry about manual carburetor adjustments.